Meyer defends program, insists UF is not ‘dirty’

Urban Meyer said he understands the public perception of his football team, which has featured 30 arrests since he became the Florida coach in 2005.

“I’m real concerned about that,” he said. “After a while, enough is enough. If there is something that we can improve on, we’re certainly looking into that.”

Most recently, wide receiver Chris Rainey was arrested Tuesday morning on aggravated stalking charges. Meyer defended his team, saying certain problems are blown out of proportion.

“This is not a dirty program,” he said. “We follow the rules and some guys make mistakes.”

Hill to play: After sitting out two weeks for unknown reasons, Florida free safety Will Hill will play Saturday against Tennessee, Meyer said.

Hill appeared in every game last year and led the Gators in special teams tackles each of his first two seasons in Gainesville. Meyer did not say how much playing time Hill would receive this week, but he said he thought the safety would make his first start of the year.

Hill is expected to bolster a defensive backfield that has already generated six of the team’s NCAA-high eight interceptions this season.

Moody, Demps share time: With Rainey off the team, Meyer will try to maintain a balance between speed and power by using running backs Emmanuel Moody and Jeff Demps at the same time frequently this week.

At 215 pounds, Moody is seen as more of a traditional back while Demps, who won a national championship in the 100-meter dash this spring, brings a skill set similar to that of Rainey.

Demps leads the team with 237 rushing yards this season. No other player has rushed for more than 84 yards.

Marsh out: Defensive tackle Lawrence Marsh needed 15 to 20 stitches on his forearm after suffering a “freak” accident in the bathroom.

Marsh, who has recorded one tackle in two games this season, will still travel with the team and serve as a captain. Florida is allowed to bring 70 players to Southeastern Conference away games.

Meyer said the lineman emerged from the practice field bathroom with a gash, so the coach checked out the scene and was shocked at what happened.

“The sink broke,” Meyer said. “He leaned on the sink.”