The dancing began even before the show itself as performers prematurely spilled into the aisles, throwing their hands up to DJ Khaled's "All I Do Is Win."

The Multicultural Greek Council Showcase, which took place Wednesday night in the Reitz Union Ballroom, allowed chapters in the council to perform and show an audience what they can do.

The show included two charismatic hosts and a series of chants, cheers and even bird calls representing each sorority and fraternity.

The show proceeded with a succession of intricate dancing, stepping, strolling, and "saluting" performances, punctuated with comedic video clips and technical difficulties. Music, dancing and performing are an essential part of minority culture, according to Jennifer Garcia, administrative vice president of MGC and one of the organizers of the showcase.

"As blacks and minorities, music is an instinct, it's in everything we do," she said.

The groups performed a variety of dance styles. Lambda Theta Phi Fraternity, representing Latin culture, offered a "saluting" routine, designed to resemble military maneuvers, according to Manny Fragata, a member of the chapter.

"[Saluting] shows we're on the same page; we're disciplined, it's our own thing," Fragata said.

The council may already have had a few new recruits among the audience members.

"I get set in my ways," said Qwaneshia Mandsfield, a sophomore who is considering rushing this semester. "I end up hanging out with the same friends. I really need to get involved."