Rainey agrees to plea deal for reduced charges

Suspended wide receiver Chris Rainey took the first step on the way to rejoining No. 7 Florida on Monday, accepting a deferred prosecution agreement from the state attorney.

Rainey’s third-degree felony stalking charge was reduced to a misdemeanor, and the lesser charge will be dropped if he stays out of trouble, pays a $50 fine, undergoes counseling and either performs 10 hours of community service or donates $100 to charity.

Rainey’s legal troubles began Sept. 14 when he sent a text message to an ex-girlfriend that read, partially, “Time to Die [expletive].”

State attorney Bill Cervone said in a statement that probable cause supported the felony charge but the fact that Rainey was never in position to act on his threat made the crime a misdemeanor.

“The victim has, in fact, essentially stated that she was more annoyed than threatened and that she did not want an arrest or prosecution, only the resolution of an immediate problem,” Cervone said.

The victim released an accompanying statement encouraging others to take a stand against violence but explaining her case as blown out of proportion. She also chastised the case’s handling by the media.

“We felt this was a private, personal matter and did not want it to become the media frenzy that it has become,” the victim said. “The lack of sensitivity to our privacy has been disturbing, and we ask that our privacy be respected moving forward. We are in full support of the decision made by the state attorney.”

Rainey still has a few hurdles to clear before he gets back on the field. UF coach Urban Meyer said the redshirt junior will not be with the Gators this weekend against No. 1 Alabama.

“He’s not part of the team,” Meyer said.

Meyer expects Demps back: Meyer said running back Jeff Demps is wearing a protective boot after injuring his left foot against Kentucky. Demps had hurt the same foot a week earlier at Tennessee, and Meyer said an X-ray of his leading rusher showed a sprain.

“I took a deep breath on the sideline when they said they were going to get it scanned, but it came back negative (for a fracture),” Meyer said. “I think we are     going to have Demps,” he added.

Burton picks up SEC honors: Trey Burton’s performance in The Swamp against Kentucky on Saturday was bound to earn him some accolades.

On Monday, Burton was named SEC Freshman of the Week for his six-touchdown night, a school-record performance that left Meyer praising his multi-talented newcomer.

“I think the important thing with a guy like Trey is that his football IQ is off the charts,” Meyer said. “You say, ‘Trey, I want you to do this,’ and he does it. It might sound easy, but in the heat of a battle and in practice learning so many things, that’s hard for a young player.”

Burton said he spent most of his time since the game at home rather than soaking in his newfound celebrity, but his fans found him anyway.

“I can’t add any more friends on Facebook,” Burton said. “For some reason, they have a limit.”