Student Government elections begin Tuesday, and the candidates are working hard to encourage students to vote and get their messages out.

Unite Party spokesman Micah Lewis said his party’s primary objective is to get out and hand out fliers, which gives the party’s candidates an opportunity to meet potential voters.

“We’re a very visible presence on campus,” he said. “And it’s very clear to the students that we care strongly about these elections and are looking for their support.”

The Progress Party isn’t doing anything differently.

Party President Dave Schneider said his party also puts emphasis on getting out and talking to students, and it always has.

“Our strategy isn’t going to change last minute over the next couple days,” he said. “We’re going to be talking to students and communicating with them on the grassroots level.”

Most Independent candidates, many of whom will switch their affiliation to the Student Alliance Party if elected, also follow the same strategy. However, they don’t typically use fliers, said Michael Morales, a Lakeside Area candidate and  representative for the Independent Coalition of Students.

Instead, the candidates try to focus more on running by word of mouth.

Morales said he will also be giving free pizza to anyone who shows an “I Voted” sticker in the hopes of encouraging a greater voter turnout.

Amanda Griffin, supervisor of elections, said she suggests students remember to bring a form of identification to vote and make sure they go to the correct polling location.

She also suggested students make sure they have updated their addresses on ISIS, though there will also be paperwork available for them to update their addresses at the polls.

There will be 19 places to vote, she said, including one at Southwest Rec Center and a new one at Keys Residential Complex.

Editor's note on 10/4/10: It was incorrectly reported that SG independent candidate Michael Morales, who was running for the Lakeside area Student Senate seat, would hand out free pizza to students who voted in SG elections. Morales told the Alligator that he was only considering giving out the pizza.