Undersized Black justifies leadership role with success

The centerpiece of Florida’s defense has been downsized by about 60 pounds and half a foot.

Senior safety Ahmad Black doesn’t intimidate like former linebacker Brandon Spikes did. There are no videos of the 5-foot-9, 190-pound Black standing over Georgia running backs, dreadlocks waving like “The Predator.”

But size and hair aside, Black has not shied away from assuming Spikes’ old role as the heartbeat of the Gators’ defense.

“He brings leadership, juice,” cornerback Janoris Jenkins said. “He keeps everybody going.

“When it’s time to make a big play, he’ll make it,” he added.

With the offense struggling early in last week’s season opener against Miami (Ohio), Black told his defensive teammates that they needed to stay focused, that the offense needed to be bailed out.

The unit did just that, most notably through Jenkins’ 67-yard interception return to give the Gators a 7-3 lead.

And, two drives later, Black turned a slight Florida lead into a comfortable one, picking off a pass at the 43-yard line and weaving through the offense before getting tackled steps short of the end zone.

Black’s interceptions set up the Gators’ third score of the game, giving them a 21-9 lead on just 13 yards.

“We have to make something happen,” he said after the game. “We have to step up and, usually, that motivates the offense to play better.

“We knew we had to cause turnovers.”

Led by Black’s career-high 12 tackles, the Florida defense held Miami to just 212 total yards and forced four interceptions.

Black said he is watching film more than he ever has in the past, and his knowledge of last week’s opponent gave him more confidence.

He predicted what the RedHawks were running several times, which allowed him to run full speed, something he said he hasn’t always felt comfortable doing.

He is also better at breaking on routes and reacting to tipped passes, which led to his second-quarter interception.

But even playing at a slower rate, Black impressed defensive coordinator Teryl Austin with his ability to swarm all over the field.

Watching game tapes when he first came to Gainesville, Austin noticed that while Black wasn’t big or particularly fast, he was always sticking his helmet where the ball was.

“I said, ‘Who’s that little guy running around?’” Austin said. “But that little guy is a good player.

“Sometimes there are small guys who play small, but he’s not. He’s a small guy who plays big, and that’s important.”