Hill failing to live up to coaches’ high expectations

Several Gators said in the preseason they expected free safety Will Hill to have a breakout year after “rededicating himself” to the team this summer.

But so far this season, coach Urban Meyer and defensive coordinator Teryl Austin do not think the junior is meeting his potential.

Hill, who missed Florida’s first two games when he “wasn’t ready to play,” surrendered a long touchdown pass in his season debut against Tennessee and missed multiple tackles last week against Alabama.

In three games, Hill has recorded 13 tackles (ninth on the team), has broken up one pass and has forced one fumble.

“He has the ability, really, to be an impact-type player,” Austin said. “He’s big, he has range, he can tackle. He can do all the things you want a safety to do, really all the great safeties around here have done. He hasn’t taken that step. We need him to take it.”

Meyer and Austin said Hill flashed potential during training camp to suggest he would be one of the team’s top defensive players. But since the season started, both coaches have noticed a regression in the safety’s play.

“I’d say, for his ability level, he’s been average,” Meyer said Monday.

Austin took Hill aside for a private talk recently, and he expects Hill to improve. Austin said the safety is playing well in practices, something that hasn’t translated to actual games, perhaps because he is more focused on not making mistakes than actually making plays.

“Sometimes as a player you start pushing and pressing, wanting to make things perfect and make things right all the time,” Austin said. “That’s really not going to happen in this game.”

Preparing for two QBs: The Gators’ defense has essentially game planned for two offenses this week while getting ready for Saturday’s meeting with LSU.

While Jordan Jefferson has started every game this season for the No. 12 Tigers, backup Jarrett Lee has appeared in all but one contest. Jefferson poses a threat as a runner (189 rushing yards) but has struggled through the air, tossing six interceptions against two touchdowns.

Lee, meanwhile, is a traditional pocket passer, throwing for 206 yards on 25 attempts.

Austin compared the duo to Florida’s own quarterbacks.

“It’d be like preparing for our guy — maybe John (Brantley) and then Trey (Burton) coming in the game,” Austin said. “You have a couple different things you have to be ready for, and so we’ve been working on both things this week.”

Injury update: Meyer said running back Jeff Demps (sprained foot) will probably play this week despite practicing at full speed Tuesday. There was no update about how the junior fared Wednesday.

Running back Mike Gillislee (bone bruise) has practiced at full speed this week, Meyer said. Gillislee was seen leaning on crutches in the second half against Alabama.

Meyer added that the team’s starting offensive line is intact this week, and that Brantley (ribs) has practiced this week despite feeling sore.

And while he is happy with punter Chas Henry’s performance during field goals, Meyer said kicker Caleb Sturgis (back) need not worry about losing his job. Henry was 2 for 2 on his first career field goal attempts against Alabama.