A Gainesville man was arrested Thursday on a charge of stealing a laptop and threatening two people with a gun on campus.

At about 12:30 p.m., witnesses said they saw a man wandering around the Marston Science Library waiting for people to get up and leave their things.   After he watched someone walk out of the room, witnesses saw the man sit down and play on the student’s Samsung laptop as if it were his, said UF Police Department detective James Mabry. 

The man then put the laptop in a nearby backpack and walked away. One of the witnesses confronted the man about stealing the laptop, but he continued walking.

After the library desk was told about the incident, an employee and the witness confronted the man together, and the man told them to stop following him because he had a gun and would shoot them.

James McCray was found ten minutes later by UPD officers a few blocks away from Sorority Row, said Mabry. He did not have a gun on him, and when asked about threatening the witnesses, McCray said he didn’t know anything about a gun. McCray was arrested and charged with grand theft for the stolen property and robbery for telling the witnesses that he had a gun.