Recycling bins to line homecoming parade route

Spectators at Friday’s homecoming parade will notice new recycling bins along the parade route.

For the first time, the City of Gainesville Solid Waste Division will place recycling bins for paper items alongside bins for trash, bottles and cans, which have been in place for the last two years.

According to recycling programmer Joan Rollen, the paper recycling bins are a result of the growing trash problem on game days and during homecoming events, especially the amount of fliers and paper thrown on the ground instead of in trash bins.

“There are so many people out there at the parade,” Rollen said. “It’s a tight situation and it’s just something everyone has done.”

Two hundred and fifty combined containers for recycling items and garbage will be placed alongside University Avenue and various side streets leading into campus.

According to Rollen, cleanup takes approximately 2 1/2 to four hours to complete after an event. She hopes the additional recycling and trash containers will encourage people to properly dispose of their trash.

“You don’t think trash on the ground is expensive, but someone has to clean it up,” she said.