It’s been more than a year since her mission trip, but Ciara Rodgers still can’t forget the little boy she saw running through the streets of the Dominican Republic.

Rodgers was shocked by how few possessions the boy had. Compared to children in the U.S., his life was anything but normal.

Rodgers, the Florida Invitational Step Show executive assistant, heard about Operation Christmas Child and saw the project as a way to give back to millions of children like the one she saw.

Starting today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and every Friday until Nov. 12, students can stop by Turlington Plaza to donate shoeboxes or small plastic containers filled with gifts.

Once the boxes and donations are collected, FISS will drop them off at a local church. They will then be passed to a national center before being shipped throughout the world.

Florida Invitational Step Show is also looking for monetary donations from students because each box costs $7 to send. The organization hopes to collect between 150 and 200 complete boxes in Turlington, Rodgers said.

“Making a difference for kids that are so grateful for the little things makes it all worthwhile,” she said. “Something so simple as taking a couple minutes out of your day can make a world of difference to a child who doesn’t have anything.”