County sheriff threatens to take budget woes to governor

Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell is taking her fight with the County Commission all the way to the governor.

Darnell will not certify the County Commission’s 2010-2011 budget and plans to appeal to Florida state officials if it is not modified by the state’s Nov. 3 deadline.

Her office is asking for an additional $507,000 for the next budget cycle, she said.

Darnell said she has been before the board numerous times and suggested several different options, including reallocating part of the $711,000 she saved from last year’s budget toward the additional funds she has requested, she said.

“My belief is that half a million does have an impact on my budget,” she said. “Some nonessential programs [have been favored] rather than the essential service of public safety.”

None of the county commissioners returned repeated request for comment.

Darnell said the relationship between the sheriff and the board “hasn’t been productive for the past several years.”

She said that in the past few years, more than $6 million in total has been taken out of her budget without her input.