About 100,000 people bundled in sweaters and scarves crowded downtown this weekend to munch on fried food, shop for jewelry and admire local and national art.

One of the 250 artists at the festival, Reuben Wilkerson, of Alachua, said he depends on festivals like Gainesville’s to sustain himself as an artist, which wasn’t possible for him 40 years ago.

In 1968, recently married, he wanted to support his new bride the best way he could. So he painted one final portrait, a portrait of her, and then decided to give up art and went to work at General Electric Co.

But in 2000, at 53, Wilkerson began to produce art again. On Sunday, he sat in a small, white tent filled with his work. A sign outside his booth read “Reuben’s Art Will Make You Laugh.”

Wilkerson said his art is inspired by the funny things he sees in everyday life.

He still works at GE but sketches his ideas on a sheet of paper during his 30-minute lunch break.

“I’m as surprised as everybody else when it comes out,” Wilkerson said. “Once I reach a point where I think I should stop, that’s when I stop. I’m pleasantly surprised for the most part.”

More than 600 artists applied to participate in Gainesville’s 29th Annual Downtown Festival and Art Show. About 100,000 people attended the festival, according to Linda Piper, events coordinator for the festival.

Piper said the festival seeks to support local artists. During the selection process, judges add an extra point to the score of artists from Florida and two extra points to the score of artists from Gainesville.

“It has a reputation to be a very festive event,” Piper said. “The entire community supports this event and looks forward to it, and because it’s a holiday season, it’s a great opportunity to purchase artwork as gifts.”

Emily Eckhart, 25, bought a Christmas ornament for her mom. Eckhart is a self-proclaimed festival junkie.

“I just love festivals of any kind,” she said. “I like being with people, and you always see people you know. And, come on, you can’t beat fair food.”

Eckhart wasn’t alone in enjoying the fried food. Culinary arts were visible in every part of the festival. Children and adults alike wandered from booth to booth, holding snow cones, fresh-squeezed lemonade, kettle corn and funnel cakes.

Wilkerson said he realized 10 years ago how much he needed art in his life.

“I realize art is something you can’t live without,” he said. “I hope (the customers) feel the same way.”