This blowout win was exactly what the Gators needed.

After three consecutive losses at home and a crushing defeat that ruined any hopes of a third straight appearance in the SEC Championship, Florida was on the ropes.

Would the coaches lose this team? Would the players just pack it in with nothing to really play for?

We got our answer Saturday when UF beat Appalachian State in convincing fashion. But that’s about all there is to take from that game.

No, the Gators have not figured out their offensive woes. No, they do not belong in the top 25. And no, UF is not back.

The Gators beat an FCS school at home by 38 points. They did what they were supposed to do.

I know fans want to jump on any sign of success and treat it like some sort of epiphany, but this team just isn’t going to have one of those moments this year.

You should have learned your lesson after back-to-back wins against Georgia and Vanderbilt. Most believed that Florida had figured it out after those two victories over “quality” opponents. But they were quickly proven wrong when South Carolina took UF’s cookies and ate them too.

The Gators have a lot of imperfections that can only be cured some major changes like a new offensive coordinator and quarterback. No big deal.

UF’s seven wins have come against Miami (Ohio), South Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, Vanderbilt and Appalachian State. That isn’t exactly a murderer’s row. The Gators have gone up against three ranked opponents this season — Alabama, LSU and South Carolina — and lost to every one of them.

These victories temporarily cover up Florida’s blemishes and keep fans somewhat happy, but they don’t mean much when they come against inferior opponents. There is no meaning behind the wins when this is the case.

Until UF beats a team it isn’t supposed to, each result must be taken with a grain of salt.

This is why the Gators won’t take down the Seminoles on the road. FSU is ranked and is not a team UF should beat.

And if Florida has shown one thing this season, it is their inability to surprise people. So just be ready to expect the expected — mediocrity.