Group collects food, clothing for local abuse shelter

A group of students at UF is wrapping up its monthlong collection of clothes, food and hygiene items to benefit victims of domestic abuse.

Every November for the last five years, Eta Sigma Gamma, a health honorary, has arranged a collection to benefit Peaceful Paths, a Gainesville organization that provides emergency shelter and relief to victims of domestic abuse. This time, the group has set up 20 locations across campus and Gainesville, where students and members of the community may drop off items, Secretary Sarah Phillips said.

Phillips, a third-year health education and behavior major, said that last year the group received more than 4,000 items. This year, Eta Sigma Gamma hopes to exceed that number. The collection will continue until Tuesday at 5 p.m.

“A lot of times they have to leave and take nothing with them and they must start their new life with no resources,” she said.  “It’s difficult to start a job if you have no clothing.”

For Phillips, it’s about the children. She said she struggles to imagine what the abused women and children have to go through on a daily basis.

Peaceful Paths is a place that can shelter them and prepare them to start their new lives, she said.

Lori Anglon, an outreach advocate and coordinator for Peaceful Path’s Adopt a Family program, said the organization offers a multitude of services to domestic abuse victims, including a 30-bed shelter, transitional housing and support groups for children.

But the facility’s inventory is getting low, she said. The donations from the collection will directly benefit those in need, and gift cards to local grocery stores and nonperishable food donations are still needed.

Jocelyn Peskin, director of outreach and development, said the prevalence of domestic abuse in the community is eye-opening and reaches across all socio-economic boundaries.  Peaceful Paths serves more than 750 families a year in its outreach programs and between 150 to 200 in its emergency shelter and transitional facilities.

Not only does the organization provide shelter and housing, but it also provides legal help, support groups and counseling for adults and children, she said. 

Peskin, who has worked for the organization for five years, said the organization excels in keeping administrative costs low in order to direct funds toward clients’ needs. Peaceful Paths is funded 85 percent by grants and 15 percent by donations.

Nicole Capille, a public relations officer for Eta Sigma Gamma, said she plans to donate three bags filled with clothes and other needed items.

“Everybody needs a little extra help sometimes, especially people in tough situations,” she said.