UF students and faculty will have the opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange this week.

Mabel Cardec, outreach coordinator for the UF International Center, said the events during International Education Week are offered at UF to make people aware of the importance of global issues.

“The Gator Nation is everywhere around the world — not just on campus or in Gainesville,” Cardec said. “We need students in higher education to realize this to prepare for their future careers.”

This year’s theme, “Making Global Connections,” will highlight opportunities available for international engagement on campus and around the world.

The kick-off event is today at 10:15 a.m. with a brief opening ceremony in the Hub highlighting the week’s activities with a mini-concert featuring UF’s African choir.

The UF College of Education is also hosting an event today at 12:30 p.m. in Norman Hall with international food and panels of students and faculty about how their international experiences have affected their work.    

Dean Rockwell, a UFIC study abroad adviser, said students who study abroad can discover so much by learning in a different environment.

“Your ability to learn is amazing when you’re abroad,” Rockwell said. “Learning customs from new people that speak a different language presents a good opportunity to grow as a person.”

On Friday, UFIC will host “NGO/PVO Day: Extending International Collaboration and Networking” from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Reitz Union Auditorium and Grand Ballroom Salon A and E.

“We have so many international students here so it’s nice to have events that will interest those students and show how internationally diverse UF is,” he said.