NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The first pass of Jordan Reed’s career was also his first throw of the day.

Florida’s tight end didn’t warm up his arm at all Saturday before unleashing a 31-yard touchdown strike to Deonte Thompson in the second quarter, a fact that even surprised Reed.

“No, I … yea, it was the first time (I threw the ball),” Reed said.

That turned out to be the first of many throws for Reed, as he joined the Gators’ rotation at quarterback in a 55-14 win against Vanderbilt.

Reed went 11 of 19 for 120 yards, a touchdown and an interception, and he ran the offense for the entire second half. By comparison, starter John Brantley was 11 of 18 for 157 yards and two scores and Trey Burton did not attempt a pass.

Reed’s toss to Thompson came on a play that was Tim Tebow’s bread and butter at Florida: the rocker step.

He took the shotgun snap, faked a run up the middle and then rocked backward before launching a dart to Thompson in the back-left corner of the end zone.

It was Thompson’s first score of the season and UF’s first touchdown pass since Sept. 25.

“He’s been practicing really hard, and it showed today,” Brantley said. “He did a great job running the ball and throwing the ball. That’s what’s impressive about him, because he never warmed up his arm or anything, so for him to come out here and do that is awesome.”

Reed added a game-high 84 rushing yards and a touchdown on 16 carries, making him the first UF player with a touchdown passing and rushing in a game this season. Tebow did that nine times in 2009, and Auburn quarterback Cam Newton — who transferred from Florida — has four such games this year.

Reed still has a ways to go as far as polishing his game, but the 6-foot-3, 240-pounder is the closest thing the Gators have to Newton.

Reed’s seven-yard carry on 4th-and-1 set up Brantley’s first touchdown, and he added runs of 22, 12 and 16 yards in the third quarter.

He’s also the first UF player to run, throw and make a catch for a touchdown in a season since Andre Caldwell in 2006.

Rainey makes impact again: Chris Rainey’s return to the backfield helped spark Florida’s offense last week. This week, he was a game-changer on special teams.

Rainey blocked two punts against Vanderbilt, dashing around the edge both times to get a hand on the ball.

The first set up a three-yard drive for the game’s first score, and the second was returned for a touchdown.

“You talk about a momentum shift,” Meyer said. “Rainey is one of the very unique skilled athletes who can come off an edge that skinny like that.”

Those two blocks gave Rainey four for his career, tied for the most in school history.

He had just eight yards on three carries, but he snagged a 40-yard touchdown pass on a flea flicker from Brantley, catching the underthrown ball in coverage in the end zone.

Rainey missed five games this season due to suspension, and he has not been made available for comment since his return. A UF spokesman said Rainey declined to speak with the media, only saying, “I’m thankful for my opportunities.”

The man who gave him a second chance is happy with Rainey’s progress.

“I think he hit rock bottom and had one way to go,” Meyer said. “Good for him. Even beyond football, he’s doing much better in school. My thumb is on him real hard, so his whole work ethic has changed.”

Etc.: Meyer said freshman defensive tackle Dominique Easley was not part of UF’s travel roster for “a lot of reasons.” … Cornerback Moses Jenkins played Saturday for the first time since the season opener. The Coral Springs native had been out with an elbow injury.