The Student Senate unanimously approved the 2011-2012 Special Events Budget during a meeting Tuesday night.

The budget allocates $352,731 to events such as Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, Kaleidoscope Month and VISA International Month.

TJ Villamil, chairman of the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee and who represents the Unite Party, said his committee increased the allotted budget by 5 percent this year, but the special event groups’ funding requests came in $1,800 under budget.

That surplus will either be redistributed equally to all Student Government-funded groups at the end of the term or be added back to reserve funds, he said.

A supplemental budget requested by the Pride Student Union was denied.  The union proposed a $5,000 project to reach out to high school students, but the committee referred the group to other UF resources to accomplish the project.

An additional request of about $1,000 for a field day with the Greek chapters was moved to the Greek budget.

Senators also approved a bill allocating $500 to Objects in Motion, the university juggling club.

The money will cover the costs of objects like juggling knives and torches.

Senators unanimously passed a resolution supporting breast cancer awareness, which urges all women at UF to pursue preventative measures, including self-examinations and yearly mammograms.

Correction

The Student Government budget allocation for Kaleidoscope month was incorrectly reported in Wednesday’s paper. The correct amount is $56,418.