The issue of world hunger has existed for many years. As an American, I know I sometimes forget the problem is right in my own backyard.

Many American families during the holidays get together and feast on delicious foods, many times devouring more than they can handle.

Yet thousands of families lack a decent meal.

This lack of food among millions of Americans is not only during the holiday season but all year.

Although many of us may find ourselves not being able to commit to year-round volunteering efforts and assisting with the hunger problem, helping out during the holiday season is a great way to start.

My family and I volunteer every year with Hosea Feed the Hungry and Homeless to try to distribute meals to those in need especially during the holiday season.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, millions of people still live in households considered food insecure, meaning food is not available in the home to meet the required minimum caloric intake set by the Centers for Disease Control. 

As a U.S. citizen, I feel that it’s my civic duty to try to help aid in the hunger problem.

Many times during the school year, I find myself saying I’m too busy to volunteer; I have a paper due or a test coming up.

Many times I get complacent in my concerns for those in America, thinking there are charities taking care of hunger in America and thinking the greatest hunger problems are in other countries.

I know there are many students on the UF campus feeling and thinking the same way.

I urge students to start helping with the hunger issue facing America during the holidays by volunteering and helping with one family or one charity at a time.

During the winter break, there are no schedule hindrances with school, and even if you work at some point during the break, you find yourself having a few extra hours to spare.

Even if you don’t know a charity hosting an event, there might be a family living in your neighborhood that lacks food.

Donating food to a charity is always helpful, but actually going out and volunteering is more satisfying and impactful.

As college students, we live in our own bubble of school, work and extracurricular activities and often think the college life is so difficult.

But we overlook the basic necessities that are given to us daily, such as a good meal.

There are millions of people in America who need food, and what’s a better way to start helping out with this issue than to give food donations, time and attention to helping solve the hunger problem?

Maybe helping feed those who lack food will become a monthly or even daily activity. The holiday season is a special time for families, so why not help make it special for a family that really needs help?

It’s sad when talking to a child who lacks food at home to hear her or him say, “I don’t want toys for Christmas. All I want is a good meal.”