When Florida started the season back in August, it did so surrounded by questions.

After the 2009 Gators became the first UF team to fail to win the Southeastern Conference in 19 years, this year’s squad was picked by SEC coaches to finish third. 

After all, the Gators did lose Elyse Cusack.

Cusack, the SEC’s all-time leader in digs with 2,138, finished her career as arguably the greatest defensive specialist/libero in conference history. A 13-time SEC Defensive Player of the Week selection, she was given the honor more times than any other player in league history.

Her replacement: Erin Fleming, a former walk-on who had never even played the position before.

“She’s really stepped up to the plate,” senior middle blocker Lauren Bledsoe said. “This year she’s had to really fill some big shoes without having all the experience to do so, and so she’s had to figure out how to do a lot of things very quickly. That’s really hard to do as an athlete.”

Twenty-eight matches later, Fleming and the No. 1 Gators have surpassed all expectations. They finished the season with an overall record of 27-1 and took the SEC title with a perfect 20-0 season.

“She’s easily one of the most improved players from August to November,” coach Mary Wise said. “Erin’s game has just gotten so much better. She had never played that position or that side of the court. For Erin, in a brand new position, to play as well as she has is part of the reason why this team did win an SEC title going undefeated.”

At Orlando Lake Highland Prep, Fleming was an all-state player who led her high school team to three straight state championships. However, the only offers she received were from Division II schools.

That all changed when Wise went to a tournament to scout.

“Mary saw me at a tournament down in Orlando and described a player she was looking for, and one of the coaches pointed me out, and from there we got to know each other,” Fleming said. “At the time I was playing outside hitter, so I wasn’t really interested in walking on or being a [defensive specialist] or a libero.”

Wise, the 2010 SEC Coach of the Year, did what all great coaches do: recruit and convince.

“Once Mary talked me into it, she told me all the great things and benefits about Florida and their academic program,” Fleming said. “From there it was pretty simple. I came and visited a couple times and I was like, ‘Division I volleyball with amazing academics — what more could you ask?’”

Fleming decided to become a Gator and came to Gainesville as a preferred walk-on. During the next three years, she bounced from position to position while getting limited playing time.

In her freshman year, Fleming saw action at right back, substituting for Florida great Amber McCray. Although it was her first time playing right back — she was used to playing left and middle — Fleming quickly became comfortable there.

She couldn’t stay settled for long, as her sophomore and junior years she switched to playing middle back for outside hitters and had to learn a new position and a new role again.

The constant hard work would eventually pay off. During her junior year, she received a phone call from Wise telling her she would be on scholarship.

“I was more than happy to accept,” Fleming said.

After the Gators lost Cusack to graduation last spring, the starting libero position opened. Following what Wise called one of the best springs and summers she’s ever seen from a player, Fleming returned to her favorite spot on the court.

“This year I went back to the left side, where I was most comfortable back in high school, and then I had to relearn everything because I was used to so many different other positions,” Fleming said. “The reading from everywhere on the court is different — different angles, different shots hitters can hit, and you have to know where the baseline is and how many steps it takes to get there.”

Fleming had little trouble handling the pressure. In 97 sets this season, she has recorded 348 digs, with a career-high 22 coming on Nov. 21 against LSU.

“You just have to take one day at a time going through practice,” Fleming said. “I got to watch Elyse a lot of the time — how she moved on the court, the things she did and the things I knew I could do well and could take over to the libero position. Just watching everything, learning, never giving up and not quitting was the most important thing. With time, everything aligns perfectly.”

Last weekend the Gators watched as the brackets for the NCAA Tournament were announced. The team instantly celebrated when they saw a number one next to Florida.

“It is so exciting, I couldn’t ask for a better senior year,” Fleming said. “To be No. 1 and the starting libero — that’s a great goal that I’ve always wanted. I’m excited and thrilled and just can’t wait for the tournament. Everything has really lined up for us.”

The Gators will open the tournament with a match against South Carolina State (17-22) tonight in the O’Connell Center at 7:30 p.m.

“[South Carolina State] is not as big, but they have a big heart and a big fight coming into this tournament,” Fleming said. “‘Wouldn’t it be nice to knock off the No. 1 team?’ I’m sure is what they’re thinking. We have to prepare mentally as well as physically for that dogfight.”

Fleming and the rest of the Gators know they cannot      take any team for granted.

“I’m excited for the tournament, but every game could be your last,” she said. “Thinking that this might be the last time I put on my jersey representing Florida is shocking.”

Fleming says a national championship would be the perfect finish to a perfect senior year. From a walk-on to the startling libero, Fleming has definitely saved her best for last.