Alachua County Crisis Center gets reaccredited

For locals struggling with thoughts of suicide, the Alachua County Crisis Center offers high-quality services and the help of more than 100 pairs of helping hands.

In December, the American Association of Suicidology reaccredited the county center, which was created in 1968, Director Marshall Knudson said.

The organization became a government operation in 1975 and was first accredited in 1976.

The Alachua County Crisis Center undergoes the reaccreditation process every five years, submitting forms and receiving an in-person evaluation from one of about 20 examiners who work in North America, Knudson said.

"Much of the evaluation really focuses upon...the quality of our services [and] training, how we engage with clients [and] whether we are state-of-the-art," he said.

Accredited institutions like the Alachua County Crisis Center meet globally recognized service standards, said Joan Wright, director of crisis services accreditation and certification for the suicidology association.

The association has accredited about 130 centers, most of which are in the U.S., Wright said. There are a few in Canada and one in Australia as well.

"It's a global standard, and I think it really helps the centers see that they're doing a good job and they're meeting best practices," she said.

It costs about $2,500 to get accredited and costs about $1,500 to be reaccredited.

While the overall number of crisis centers increased about five years ago, economic problems have led about 10 to drop accreditation plans or close due to financial concerns, Wright said.

While there are numerous accredited crisis centers, they are varied in their operations, said Knudson of the Alachua County Crisis Center. Some may be joint efforts with mental health programs, while others are freestanding centers in their community.

"Crisis centers are not all the same, and generally there's only one in any community," he said. "Each is specialized to serve the needs of the community."

The Alachua County center sets itself apart from many programs because it's a government agency and because it focuses much of its efforts on working with groups like law enforcement that are often the first responders to people at risk for suicide.

It provides several suicide intervention services, including a 24-hour crisis hotline, an emergency outreach team and a support group for suicide survivors, according to the center's website.

The organization receives about 60,000 calls a year from people in distress, Knudson said.

For those in need of assistance, please contact the Alachua County Crisis Center's Crisis Line at 352-264-6789.