AMPED with UF Athletes: UF gymnast Maranda Smith

UF gymnast Maranda Smith poses for a photo before practice on Tuesday.  Smith, who does vault and floor exercise, said she pops in her earbuds to help ease routine plane trips.
UF gymnast Maranda Smith poses for a photo before practice on Tuesday. Smith, who does vault and floor exercise, said she pops in her earbuds to help ease routine plane trips.

When describing UF gymnast Maranda Smith,  “bubbly” would be an understatement. Although she gleams with a gleeful smile and eyelids full of sparkles, Smith is full of spice — as is her iPod.

This California girl describes herself as a “chill song person” and doesn’t rely on her tunes to pump her up before meets or even to keep her company when she’s walking around on campus.

Instead, this 5-foot-2-inch ball of energy cranks on the tunes when she’s doing her hair and makeup before competition and shares her love of R&B soul music with another love, boyfriend and UF football star, Carl Moore.

“I like Musiq Soulchild,” she said. “It’s kind of me and my boyfriend’s favorite artist. Like if we were to make a playlist, more than likely Musiq Soulchild would be on it the most.”

To catch a glimpse of what’s really going on in Smith’s speakers, the Avenue sat down with her while she shared the scoop on her most prized tracks.

w“Good Luck Charm” by Jagged Edge

“This is my favorite song of all time. I guess it’s my favorite love song.”

w“Man In the Mirror” by Michael Jackson

“I like the message that he’s saying in it.”

w“Tell Me When to Go” by E-40

“It reminds me of my high school days. I listen to it here in Florida because it’s a different style and type of rap than it is here. It reminds me of back home in California.”

w“Fighter” by Christina Aguilera

“It’s just a great song. I love her voice and the message she’s saying.”

w“I Am Not My Hair” by India.Arie

“Again, I really like the message. Most of the songs I like because of the message.”

w“Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)” by Shakira

“I’m really into this song right now.”

w“Midnight Train to Georgia” by Gladys Knight

“It reminds me of my childhood, because [my parents] would always play the oldies.”

w“Rise Up” by Yves Larock

“I heard it while I was in Mexico over the summer. So it reminds me of vacation.”