Commissioners may take cleanup case to Washington

The Alachua County Commission is frustrated about the Cabot-Koffers Superfund site clean up, so it may take its case to the nation’s capital.

“Help us,” Lee Pinkoson, chairman of the commission, said to Marion Turner, a liaison between the Commission and Washington D.C.

Turner said that a decision about how the site will be cleaned up has been delayed by the Environmental Protection Agency for more than a decade.

He offered a solution.

Turner suggested organizing a meeting where Gainesville, Alachua County and federal officials, namely Sens. Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio, can have the opportunity to sit down and discuss the Superfund cleanup with the EPA.

Former Alachua County Commissioner Penny Wheat said she thinks something needs to be done or the county’s water supply may be in jeopardy.

“Your objective is to embarrass the hell out of the people in Washington who haven’t been doing a damn thing for a very long time,” Wheat said to the commissioners.

Commissioner Paula Delaney said that the Commission should have sat down with the EPA years ago.

“It does seem like we haven’t gotten anywhere,” she said.

“I do think it’s time to start chewing on people,”