A lot of people have been slagging Gov. Rick Scott for his extravagant inauguration festivities last Tuesday.

They say he’s out of touch with the sensibilities of the average Floridian who is struggling in the lean tourist economy we’re now forced to survive in.

They say Rick Scott’s “coronation” festivities were an example of the kind of fiscal irresponsibility we can expect from the shiny-domed man who is now our state’s executive.

To all the people making these claims I say, “right on.”

I mean, who could not be cross with a man for spending $3 million on his own victory celebration?

The obvious question is: Why didn’t he spend more?

If Gov. Scott knew absolutely anything about the needs and desires of the people, he would know opulence is the way to the heart of the proletariat.

As any good community organizer knows, the only way to win the respect of the people is to put on a show big enough and flashy enough to dazzle the small minds of the working class long enough for them to forget we’re in a depression.

Perhaps Gov. Scott should have taken notes from the great unifier, our president, Barack Obama.

Dwarfing Scott’s measly $3 million, Obama’s inauguration cost a stately $170 million, according to ABC News.

Now here’s a guy who really knows how to throw a party.

Not only did Obama use private funds for this little soiree, he used about $120 million of federal funds to make sure this shindig was special.

This probably included both the diamond-studded crown he specifically required after claiming that he was “king of America,” and the fact that he made sure that the party was planned by Corey Worthington.

It’s really not even that much money when you take out all of the necessary costs.

Consider, for instance, the matching leather jackets he ordered for all the czars.

Then there’s the bark collar he got for Hillary Clinton.

Some things you simply can’t do without.

Considering President Obama ran on a ticket of connection with the common man and concern for the financial situation of the country when he took office, I can only assume this is how you communicate that you know what you’re doing and have the best interests of the people in mind.

With that noted, I hope Rick Scott has the time to really reconsider his whole direction in his upcoming governorship.

He needs to shape up and realize that this opulence and luxury correspond to responsibility and sensitivity.

If not, he’s in for a rough term.

He didn’t even use any state money for his party.

That’s bad form.

If we can’t expect our elites to spend our money unwisely, who can we trust?

Nate Rushing is second-year political science student.