Heads up, New Year’s resolution makers: It’s about three weeks into 2011. Have you kept your self-made promise? We’re betting about half of you have already cracked — especially those who resolved to hit the gym and eat healthier.  It’s no easy feat. But sometimes, the resolution to all your healthy lifestyle woes is simple: balance.

Lucky for you, we’ve tracked down someone who knows all about that magic word —  a simple task that can help you eat better and have a more effective workout.

Check out what UF nutrition and foods professor Linda Bobroff had to say when we asked her about some of her juiciest health secrets.

Avenue:  What’s the secret to getting all of the required nutrients for the day?

Bobroff: Portion control. This will ensure you’re getting all the vitamins and nutrients you need, while making sure you don’t ingest too many calories or fats.

Avenue: What should a well-balanced meal consist of?

Bobroff: Half of your plate should consist of low-carbohydrate vegetables like lettuce, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower or other cooking greens. About a quarter of your plate should be protein, and the other quarter should be carbohydrates like rice, pasta, corn or peas.

Avenue: Several New Year’s resolutions involve hitting the gym more often. How can a new gym junkie ensure he or she gets the most out of a workout?

Bobroff: Hydration is key for a good workout. I always urge student to drink plenty of fluids before, during and after working out.

Avenue: And what’s better: water or Gatorade?

Bobroff: If you’re exercising for longer than an hour and it’s an intense workout, it’s necessary to replenish some of the electrolytes you’re using, as well as some of those carbohydrates for energy. That’s why Gatorade works well. The body stores some carbohydrates during exercise, but after about an hour or an hour-and-a-half of intense exercise, it’s necessary to replenish them yourself.

Avenue: What should someone eat before he or she goes to workout?

Bobroff: About three to four hours before a workout, it’s good to eat a meal high in carbohydrates, moderate in protein and fairly low in fat. Spaghetti and meatballs is a great meal that fulfills these needs.

For other information regarding important nutrients and the foods they can be found in, head to www.mypyramid.gov.