After nearly a two-year hiatus, the UF Safe Run program is up and running again as of this week and under new leadership.

The Safe Run program is operated by students in the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps at UF and serves as a buddy system for students who want to go running at night on campus and still feel safe.   

Students can book a running partner for any time between 7 p.m. snd 10 p.m. To do so, students should call the hotline an hour before the time they would like to run Monday through Thursday.

The hotline is available after 5:45 p.m.

According to Daniel Mckean, the assistant coordinator of Safe Run, the program really tries to focus on matching each student with somebody based on his or her skill level.

“We even have a few runners who can run marathon-length distances and all of our runners know routes around campus,” Mckean said.

According to Mckean, the need for the program came from simply wanting to keep students safe.

Each safe runner will now have a cell phone on them at all times and also will be required to wear a reflective safety belt.

Anyone interested can call the Safe Run hotline at 352-557-2RUN.

Editor's note: The correct phne number for Safe Run is 352-577-2RUN.