I’ve always thought rules were made to be broken. Fashion is no exception. The world of fashion consists of so many rules: You can’t wear white after Labor Day, you can’t mix black and brown, you can’t mix gold and silver and you can’t wear socks and sandals. Or can you?

One of the trends that I have noticed becoming popular is socks and sandals. Chloe Sevigny and other hipsters have been sportin’ the look since 2009, but it’s recently becoming a bit more mainstream.

During winter break, I was perusing through my J. Crew catalog when I stumbled across the fashion contradiction. I felt the need to investigate. I discovered that not only is J. Crew doing it, but Gossip Girl’s Leighton Meester is doing it, runway models are doing it and my 89-year-old grandfather is doing it.

I’ll be the first to admit that most fashion rules are silly. Black and brown is my favorite combination and I tend to wear it frequently. But a trend that has been going strong in preschools and nursing homes for years? It might take me a little while to get used to it, let alone try it.

Readers: What do you think? Would you wear socks and sandals? Take my poll and let me know!

Also, this will be my last semester blogging for the Alligator. I would love to hear from all of you out there about what you’d like to see. Is there anything in particular you’d like me to write about? Is there anything you want to see more of? Leave me a comment in the section below!