Former Sigma Alpha Epsilon members Jack Martin Hostutler, Jr. and Eric Francois Lanoue were arrested on felony charges of stealing items from fraternity houses Dec. 14.

According to a police report by the Gainesville Police Department, Hostutler and Lanoue stole a rocking chair from Delta Tau Delta fraternity at 1926 W. University Ave. at 1 a.m..

The two men also entered Delta Upsilon’s fraternity house at 1814 W. University Ave. through an unlocked second-story window and took a composite portrait, according to Delta Upsilon President Eric Weber.

Police found Hostutler and Lanoue later that afternoon on Fraternity Row with the stolen items in the back of their red Chevy pickup truck.

The two men were arrested and charged with burglary and theft, and the stolen items were returned.

Delta Tau Delta and Delta Upsilon declined to press charges, so the charges were dropped.

“Delta Tau Delta considers this matter closed,” said Adam Tagliero, the Delta Tau Delta president. “We have not pressed any charges and all the damages have been paid for.”

Police estimated the stolen rocking chair to be worth about $150.

The value of the the stolen portrait was estimated to be at least $75.

Interfraternity Council President Rajiv Ansani said the council would take no disciplinary action against Sigma Alpha Epsilon or the two men since they were no longer affiliated with the fraternity at the time the robberies occurred.

“It seems pretty clear from our perspective that these individuals were acting not under the actions of the fraternity but of their own accord,” Ansani said.

Both Hostutler and Lanoue were removed from Sigma Alpha Epsilon last semester during the fraternity’s reorganization.

Had the two men still have been part of their fraternity, Ansani said it would have been a “Greek conduct matter” and the council would have to had to have started a judicial process to determine the consequences.

Weber said Sigma Alpha Epsilon President Marcus Motes personally apologized for the robbery.

Motes is arranging for Hostutler and Lanoue to apologize as well.