Attention insects: You’re about to be put under the microscope.

The UF department of entomology and nematology was the recipient of a $5 million donation to fund its research, the university announced Wednesday.

The donation came from Charles Steinmetz, a 71-year-old UF alumnus who made his fortune by building two pest control companies. One of those companies, All America Termite and Pest Control Inc., served as the national pest control service for Sears Roebuck and Co. and was eventually sold to that company in 1997.

“The gift will enable the department to hire top-notch, first-line professors,” Steinmetz said. “And then once you get the top professors, you get the top students.”

He said he felt like he wanted to give back to the department that gave him his start.

“This was just something I felt was the right thing to do,” he said.

On average, 12 new insects appear in Florida each year, said John Capinera, chairman of the entomology and nematology department.

That means the department always has new insects to look at, and the grant will help the department in their quest to study the state’s new inhabitants.

“It’s critical to the quality of life and the health of Florida citizens,” Capinera said. “And it’s an interesting challenge because it’s something new every month.”

In addition, insects can develop resistance to current pesticides, so research — even with insects that have been around for a while — is continual.

Though donations to the department come in regularly, Capinera said, it is rare to see one this large.

Of the $5 million, $3 million will go toward professorships, $1 million will go toward all-purpose research money and $500,000 will go toward an entrepreneurship fund.

The remaining $500,000 will be added to an existing $1 million scholarship fund named for Steinmetz and his wife, Lynn, according to Capinera.

Pending approval from the Board of Trustees, the entomology and nematology building will be named for Steinmetz.

When asked about the prospect of having a building named after him, Steinmetz gave a chuckle.

“I actually go by the building when I come to football games in the fall,” he said. “I’ll be very pleased to drive by and see the building named for me.”