I have been given the opportunity to address the biggest news story of the year for anyone within a 15-mile radius of The Swamp.

Far beyond the importance of the extension of tax cuts or President Obama bowing to Republican cutthroats, the resignation of head coach Urban Meyer from the UF football program is far more urgent in the hearts and minds of The Gator Nation.

I’m confused about how to feel about this development, as I’m sure many Gators fans are.

What I can identify is a great feeling of sadness.

Meyer’s tenure with the Gators was undeniably successful.

He gave us two national championships, the Tebow era and a reason to go to Gators games after the embarrassment of Ron Zook.

On top of being a winning football coach, Meyer was a professional.

He is a man with a true respect for his players, his program and his game.

Rather than having the embarrassing sideline antics of a man not in control of his emotions (ahem, 1990s Steve Spurrier), Meyer inspired true confidence by keeping a cool head and remembering the power of example he had over the players, fans and other coaches.

Off the field, Meyer was an exemplary member of the community.

He was involved in his local church, his children’s schools and representing a handful of charities on the side.

One such charity is the Rodeheaver Boys Ranch, a program that helps educate and train at-risk youth.

On top of this, Meyer also co-chaired an effort with Billy Donovan to raise money for the Florida Opportunity Scholars Program.

Not in this long list of achievements (including picking a fine name for his son), however, is the true nature of what we’ve lost in the resignation of Urban Meyer.

What can’t be put in a Wikipedia article or a sports almanac is what Meyer truly was: a servant leader.

Growing up in Gainesville probably affects my view of this situation.

The head coach of the Gators is the closest thing our modern Gainesvillian society has to a tribal leader.

I can clearly remember the day Spurrier stepped down as head coach.

My friend’s father expressed his utter desolation to my parents as he came to pick up his son.

It was then that I realized, however strange or silly it may be, the head coach of the Gators is just as much the community leader of Gainesville as the mayor, perhaps more so.

That’s what made Meyer a great coach and a sorely missed pillar of society.

Under extreme scrutiny, pressure, and, at times, defamation, Meyer exemplified leadership that put others above himself in his coaching style, his deeply personal relationships with his players and staff and his poised and professional connection with the public.

So, Urban, I think I speak for many when I say we can’t thank you enough for the years you gave us, and we wish you much success in the future.

God bless, and go Gators.

Nate Rushing is second-year political science student.