Just as the first second of 2011 kicked off with a certain “Jersey Shore” nugget dropping down in a giant MTV ball, it hit you, right after that desperate, sloppy smooch. It’s New Year’s resolution time, baby. It’s the year for closet-cleaning and working more on saving the cash flow than slurping it down at Salty Dog. And most importantly, getting those post-holiday bods into shape. Of course, getting fit is no uncommon  resolution. And, not surprisingly, within the first couple of days on campus,  the gym crowd has exploded, and the number of runners necessary to dodge on the walk to class could be compared to a game of “Frogger.”

While hundreds of newborn fitness junkies will compete for treadmills at chaotic Southwest, in Gainesville there lie quiet, tranquil workout venues just waiting for you to visit. In particular, for an exercise as physically challenging as it is calming, look no further than a quaint yoga classroom nestled right off campus. But don’t get it twisted: This isn’t your grandma’s yoga class.

Ashtanga Yoga of Gainesville offers a practice that serves more than the average ohm (that low humming  sound yoga participants make as they meditate and stretch).

Kevin Bogle, owner and instructor for 14 years,  teaches the Ashtanga style of yoga, which emphasizes a continual movement that flows from posture to posture. In other words, there are no breaks—shattering the stigma that yoga is just “too easy,” Bogle said.

“For some people, a regular yoga class might be too slow for them or they may feel like they aren’t getting anything besides a good stretch,” Bogle said. “[Asthanga Yoga] is definitely for people who might not want to sit around and hold postures forever.”

Bogle’s classes feature an hour and a half of postures, focusing on traditional yoga that helps create muscle tone, core strength and flexibility.

We decided to get a taste of what Ashtanga was all about, so we went to one of Bogle’s 90-minute sessions just for you (happy new year, kids).

The studio, which Bogle rents from Unified Training Center off  University Avenue, is a cozy room with turquoise walls lined with mirrors and welcoming, white Christmas lights. As students enter they’re greeted by the friendly face of Bogle, a cheerful man who sports a short ponytail.

“Although it’s very physical, it’s still a yoga style that emphasizes the breath and the concentration and relaxation,” Bogle said of the Ashtanga style.

Sure enough, as Bogle said, the exercise included zero breaks. It required constant movement with connecting, fluid postures combined with vinyasas, a series including a push-up like movement, followed by upward and downward dog.

The postures were so fluid, one could feel them in all parts of the body. Thighs burned. Arms stretched. Abs tightened.

Kay Tappan, a UF graduate in mass communications, has done yoga for about five years and has attended Bogle’s classes for about one year.

“I like the intensity,” she said. “It’s relaxing but also a good workout. Since I’ve started, I feel more relaxed and healthy as a whole.”

For some, like 32-year-old Josh Abramowitz, the class was a first.

“Yoga is a way to force me to stretch after I workout,” Abramowitz said. “I’ve done other yoga classes that are not very challenging, but I enjoyed that I broke a sweat during this class.”

After the students rounded out their postures, both standing and sitting, heart rates ,just minutes before rapidly beating, finally slowed. When the light switch was flipped, darkness flooded the room and the students, eyelids closed and limbs finally stationary, laid on rubber mats and let rest their stretched muscles. Minds cleared and bodies at peace, the students relaxed on the floor as Bogle played soothing music on an instrument akin to a wooden flute. With everyone lying still and the notes flooding out of the soothing woodwind, it seemed just like a scene from “Eat, Pray, Love.” When the class was dismissed, all participants felt relaxed, revived and rejuvenated. After all was said and done, it was certain the exercise  marked the end to gingerbread bellies and stressful burdens.

“You’re working out pretty hard,” Bogle said of the exercise.

“Whatever it is that’s bothering you at the time it’s like it squeezes it out of you.”

The Skinny

What is Ashtanga?

A traditional yoga practice consisting of constant movement and flowing postures.

How will it help with your get-fit resolution?

Ashtanga yoga practice results in physical and mental benefits including muscle tone, flexibility, relaxation and core strength.

When and Where?

Unified Training Center on 809 West University Ave.

Monday: 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.

Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Thursday: 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Hipmoves Fitness Studio on 708 NW 23rd Ave.

Sunday: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

How much?

$10 per class

*  Check out http://yoga-gainesville.com for more info