Maybe you're starting to come to terms with the fact that Pop-Tarts are not a good source of fruit. Likewise, fries aren't really a vegetable when it comes to nutrition.

Here are some seasonal fruits and vegetables for a Florida February. All of these choices, recommended by Hogtown HomeGrown editor, Stefanie Samara Hamblen, can be purchased locally and prepared easily for healthier and delicious meals.

VEGETABLES

Broccoli

This vegetable is very flexible in its functionality, and it's simple to prepare. Eat it raw to make the most of its nutrients and fiber.

Carrots

Cooking carrots can actually make their nutrients more accessible, and with a naturally sweet taste, it's easy to forget how healthy they can be. Experiment with carrot soup or carrot bread if you're feeling comfortable in the kitchen.

Beets

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica. While Dwight Schrute, beet grower and lover from "The Office," may be many people's primary source of information on the ruby red root, this veggie is easily accessible at a local market. Beets can be served on salads to offer variety or roasted as a colorful side dish. Adventurous bakers, try beet brownies.

FRUITS

Strawberries

Eat these fruits alone or as a way to add taste and nutrition to your breakfast bowl. Also, strawberries are a killer ingredient in any dessert, especially with dark chocolate.

Grapefruit

These citrus fruits are large enough to make a big snack or a small breakfast. Grapefruits range in flavor from extremely sour to sweet, so it is a good idea to ask the grocer or vendor what varieties they offer or ask for samples. If you are taking any prescription medications, it is also a good idea to ask your doctor about any possible interactions with grapefruit juice.

Oranges

What fruit is more Floridian than the orange? Get the freshest flavor by squeezing fresh-made juice. For a twist on the traditional, seek out recipes for orange salsa or a citrus mozzarella tower.

Avocados

These green fruits, also known as the alligator pear, are known to be a source of monounsaturated fat, or good fat. Add avocado slices to a salad or a sandwich. Also try making fresh guacamole as a side for fish tacos or just something to dip chips in.