Kisses for Wishes valentines to benefit local Make-A-Wish Foundation

For those who are stumped on what to give their significant other for Valentine’s Day, the UF Gators for Wish Kids club has a solution.

From now until Friday, the organization will hold Kisses for Wishes, a fundraiser in which students can pre-order valentines for friends or loved ones.

The valentines will be $2 each and all proceeds will benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Central and Northern Florida, an organization that grants wishes to children who have life-threatening medical conditions.

The valentines will consist of a homemade cookie and a sealed letter containing a poem mentioning the Make-A-Wish Foundation, said Lauren Vallario, the club’s president.  There will be one letter format for students to send to friends and one to send to romantic partners, she said.

The club will have tables set up for pre-ordering valentines in the Reitz Union Colonnade and on Turlington Plaza from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today and Wednesday and from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Thursday and Friday, Vallario said.

On Valentine’s Day, the recipients will receive a text message and e-mail telling them they have a valentine waiting for them.  They will be able to pick up their gift at the Reitz Colonnade from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., she said.

She said students can also choose to have a valentine mailed to a recipient out of the city for an additional fee to cover mailing costs.

Lauren Wills, the club’s director for social media and advertising, said she thinks the event will be successful because it is a way for students to give gifts to their friends while giving back to the community at the same time.