LGBTQ magazine to relaunch during Pride Awareness Month

Reading naturally influences Christina Montana, and she wants to use her interest to make something that could help others.

To coincide with Pride Awareness Month celebrations, Montana, a first-year English student, and Michelle Philippe, a fourth-year student, are working on reviving Subtext, an LGBTQ literary arts magazine.

According to Montana, it has open submissions. Anyone can submit fiction, nonfiction, poetry, artwork and photographs that are LGBTQ-related.

Subtext started in 2008 at UF, but the publication ceased after the first issue for unknown reasons. The issue, Montana said, contained limited text and 20 staff member submissions.

Montana said she with met Philippe on Friday to discuss visions for the magazine and set up a timetable.

Though nothing is solidified, Montana said Subtext will be published in the fall and spring semesters. The first issue will be out in April.

“This all depends on the response,” she said.

“I really want to make a magazine that is known throughout campus.”

To submit pieces to Subtext, e-mail subtextsubmissions@gmail.com.