No Southern Accent takes third place in a cappella competition

After the pitch pipe buzzed, toes tapped to the sound of harmonious voices that carried new renditions of well-known melodies.

Mallory Zuckerman, the performing director for No Southern Accent, paced across the front of the stage as she belted out “Heavy in Your Arms” by Florence and the Machine under the watchful eyes of three judges. She won the Outstanding Soloist award.

No Southern Accent, a competitive UF a cappella group, came in third place out of eight groups from around the state Friday night at the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella South Quarterfinals at the P.K. Yonge Performing Arts Center.

Despite two Florida State University groups, All-Night Yahtzee and the AcaBelles, being the only ones to advance from the tournament, Zuckerman said she thought No Southern Accent performed well.

“I felt really great walking off the stage,” she said. “We left everything on that stage. The groups from FSU were incredible, and we are really proud to share the stage with them, but we are also happy to represent The Gator Nation.”

Alex Greene, a materials science and engineering freshman, discovered his talent for vocal percussion while performing sound checks with his rock band.

The beatboxer showcased his skills during No Southern Accent’s last song, “Everything’s Just Wonderful” by Lily Allen.

“As with anything, I like to win, but the scores are what they are,” he said.