I often use this column as a platform to rant about recent gaming news, and for that I am truly sorry. This is why you never should give a weekly column to a person who shouts his opinions at the TV. That being said, there has been a surplus of news in the gaming industry lately, and it’s important to be up-to-date on the often ridiculous headlines journalists use. Here’s some of the most interesting industry news:

Sony sues hacker, kicks sand in his face

Have you hacked your PS3 recently? Or do you perhaps own a jail-broken iPhone? If so, Sony may be out to get you. The multinational tech company has sued a hacker named GeoHot, a minor Internet celebrity, for posting the software necessary to jailbreak an iPhone and a PS3. GeoHot, whose real name is George Hotz, posted the root key for the console in January, which would allow the user to run his or her own software, play pirated games and generally have complete control over the system. If Sony wins the suit, it could set a precedent potentially allowing the prosecution of anyone who hacks his or her phone or system, regardless of whether it’s legally bought.

Sony challenges Apple, announces hybrid smart phone/gaming system

In other Sony news, the company announced in February the arrival of the Verizon-exclusive Xperia PLAY, a “PlayStation Certified” smart phone that would have a slide-out controller. The controller is similar to the PlayStation DualShock, sporting two analog touch pads, a D-Pad and the four shape-button scheme. With 50 games estimated for the phone’s launch and other future titles announced, (including “Dungeon Defenders,” made by Gainesville’s very own Trendy Entertainment), the company seems serious about contending with the iPhone. A quick question to readers: Who remembers the N-Gage? It was a cross between a phone and a Game Boy Advance, made by Nokia and pretty much the most stupid thing ever made. Could this phone share the same fate?

Ubisoft looking to hire excessive fan boy of “Assassin’s Creed”

If you happen to be an English major and know about the “Assassin’s Creed” series, the job of a lifetime may await you. Ubisoft Montreal is looking to its fan base to hire a writer who can compile the game’s universe into an encyclopedia for the series. The encyclopedia would cover all iterations of the franchise, including the games, books, comics and an animated short film. The post on Ubisoft’s blog, http://ubiworkshop.com, indicates this is a legitimate job offer that pays real money (history junkies should ask to be paid in Florins), and anyone can send in submissions highlighting his or her writing skills.