Will Muschamp isn’t a fan of the word “potential.”

That’s why the Florida coach is being cautious with his praise for wide receiver Andre Debose, despite his seemingly limitless physical gifts.

Debose, a highly touted prospect often compared to former Gators receiver Percy Harvin during his recruitment, had a limited role in Florida’s offense last year, recording only 105 total yards and no touchdowns on 10 receptions and one carry.

“He has to continue to progress to be the football player he needs to be,” Muschamp said. “God has blessed him with an awful lot of ability, but he has got to use that ability.”

The 5-foot-11, 180-pound sophomore didn’t see much time on the field due to trouble learning the playbook, and he received a great deal of criticism for having a poor work ethic as the year went on.

But he and Muschamp are hoping to rectify those problems this season and turn Debose’s potential into production.

“My main focus right now is just to show that I have a good work ethic,” Debose said last week. “I just want to show everybody that I do work hard and I want to be on the field every snap that I can.”

Debose displayed his athletic ability on special teams, averaging 28 yards per kickoff return and becoming the first Gator to score two kick-return touchdowns in one season.

Muschamp said Tuesday he is pleased with Debose’s athleticism during offseason training, and he hopes that carries over into the fall.

“It’s just about being a consistent worker all the time,” Muschamp said. “Consistency in his performance is what I’m stressing on.

“But athletically, he is what we want at the wideout position.”

BURTON, BRANTLEY ADJUSTING WELL: Muschamp said every player on Florida’s roster has essentially become a freshman again while learning the Gators’ new system, but quarterback John Brantley and running back Trey Burton are standing out.

Muschamp said Brantley has been the most consistent of UF’s three quarterbacks so far, if only because of his experience at the position.

Burton, a converted quarterback who played all over the field last season, will likely see time in the backfield and at tight end this year. But the versatile Burton is quickly acclimating to his new role under offensive coordinator Charlie Weis.

“Charlie’s using him in a lot of different ways. He fits well with what we do,” Muschamp said. “He’s a smart, productive football player.”

INJURY UPDATE: Muschamp said senior defensive tackle Jaye Howard underwent arthroscopic surgery Monday to “clean up some things in his ankle that have been an issue for the last couple months.” There is no timetable set for Howard’s return.

Junior defensive tackle Earl Okine was held out Tuesday for precautionary reasons related to a medical procedure. Otherwise, Muschamp said, there have been no major injuries through the first week of the Gators’ spring practice schedule.