Break out the floral print because spring has sprung. With things warming up in the Swamp, it's not only time to rock the jorts, but it's also time for a little spring cleaning.

Don't stop at dusting this year. Take spring cleaning to a new level by emptying out your closet in preparation for the fashion season to come.

Pieces should be organized into three separate piles: one pile for keeping, one for donation and one for uncertainties.

Wishful thinking will not allow you to squeeze back into the clothes you've outgrown. These items are just taking up space in the closet and should be donated. Keep only those items that you actually wear.

Store winter clothes away in the back of your closet or somewhere else, so they're out of the way. They might not be needed right now, but when winter rolls around next year, you'll definitely want to have your coat handy.

Make sure not to forget your shoes and accessories. These, along with apparel, change with the seasons.

When it comes to making decisions on clothing in the pile you're not sure about, consider how often you wear something. Staples such as jeans, sweaters and basic tops and pants can always be mixed and layered with trendier pieces. In this case, they might be worth your while to keep.

For the items that don't make the cut, consider your options. Make an event of it by arranging a swap with friends who have also cleaned out their closets.

If you want to make a profit off your stylish duds, resell. Gainesville stores such as Plato's Closet and Flashbacks both purchase used clothing. With sites like eBay, selling online is another choice.

For anything that you do not sell or give away to friends, donate to charity. Helping someone in need is much better than just throwing it out.

Regardless of what you chose to do, enjoy the free space in your closet. This might even make a great excuse to go shopping and fill it back up.