Movies are still big business and make millions of dollars at thousands of theaters across the nation and beyond. Yet big names in the industry are currently gathering to discuss ways to save their business. One of the ideas is the newest trend in movies – 3-D.

According to USA Today, revenues are down 19 percent from the same period last year and attendance is off sharply with about 20 percent fewer tickets sold than the first three months of 2010.

Cinemacon, formerly known as ShoWest, is a gathering of filmmakers, studio executives and movie theater owners in Las Vegas. This year, the hot topic is how to bring business back up, and 3-D is being considered a possible solution.

While 3-D films do bring in a few extra dollars, I don't think filmmakers and film exhibitors should put all their plans into a technology that hasn't proven to always make money. Just recently the 3-D film “Mars Needs Moms” became one of Disney's biggest flops of all time.

I think people in the industry need to stop looking for new gimmicks to draw people into theaters and start making more good movies. That is what’s going to draw more people to buy tickets — not things that jack ticket prices up even higher.