‘Real World’ to recruit Gainesville to find next housemate

MTV will hold an open casting call Saturday to find seven or eight strangers to stop being polite and start getting real for season 26 of “The Real World.”

The open casting call will be  Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Mother’s Pub and Grill.

“We always have good luck in Gainesville,” said Damon Furberg, supervising casting director for ‘The Real World.’ “We have gone there for as long as I can remember.”

It takes about 3 months, Furberg said, to do 35 or 40 casting calls for one season. Candidates are narrowed down in rounds of interviews and one small group is flown to Los Angeles for a final interview.

“We want to see everyone who shows up, so we pace ourselves accordingly,” Furberg said.

All casting directors have different ways of interviewing applicants. Some play party games while others throw out a debate topic.

TJ Goodman, co-owner of the pub, said MTV called him about three weeks ago to propose the offer.

“My business partner and I still have no idea why we were chosen,” he said. “It was an honor.”

Furberg said producers often choose locations by interviewing students about their favorite places to go.

Applicants are required to bring a photo ID and a recent picture of themselves. Applicants must be over 18 and “appear to be between the ages of 18 and 24.”

Anyone unable to attend the open call can still apply online. For more information visit bunim-murray.com/rwcasting.