Some local businesses are reporting that more college men are using their services.

Local tanning salon Hot Spot has seen an increase in tanning sales, said employee Cole Dixon.  The number of customers has gone from about 40 to 50 per day in January to 160 per day in February. For the first time, the number of women and men visiting the salon are about equal.

Dixon said the increase in patrons is due to people wanting to be bronze for Spring Break.

“‘Jersey Shore’ doesn’t help,” she said. “‘Gym, tan, laundry’ — everybody is talking about it.”

Dixon believes the show could be a reason for the increase in male customers.

She said even though there is an influx of customers, the salon still has some regulars that come year-round.

“At Hot Spot, we joke around and call our frequent customers ‘tanorexics,’” Dixon said. 

For one entry-level tan, Hot Spot charges $7 to $20 depending on the bed level, which refers to the wattage of the bed.

The salon sees all kinds of people come in, from high school teens to 50-year-old men. 

LAE Beauty has also seen a greater number of male customers, said employee  Lauren Anderson.

The salon sees about triple the number of customers during the tanning season, which begins in mid-January and ends at the end of April.