Gospel choirs sing at annual spring extravaganza

Voices from around the state filled the University Auditorium on Sunday evening for the University Gospel Choir’s annual spring Gospel Extravaganza.

This year’s event, which drew about 320 people, was titled “The Garden of Praise.” The event featured choirs from UF, the University of South Florida and the University of Central Florida, as well as guest artist 13th Disciple.

The concert opened with a solo dancer and was followed by the stomping and clapping UF choir. 

By the end of the first song, half of those in the audience were on their feet, clapping to the rhythm.

“Tonight we want to transform this auditorium into a sanctuary,”  said pastor Natron A. Curtis of the Mt. Zura Full Gospel Baptist Church in Newberry.

The concert ended with an a cappella performance by 13th Disciple.

Dianeka Perrien, a sophomore criminology major, said she attended the concert to hear live gospel music and support a friend in the choir.

“You don’t find gospel music around here a lot in Gainesville — in college in general,” she said.