Movies you need to see this summer: Part One

Originally this was going to be a post on all the movies I think are worth seeing this summer, but then there will be movies I plan on staying away from that others will flock to. So instead of just what I like, I have split this post up into different groups. Enjoy!

Comic Geeks

“Thor” (May 6) - The warrior Thor is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard by his father, Odin, for his arrogance and sent to Earth to live among humans. Falling in love with scientist Jane Foster teaches Thor much-needed lessons, and his new-found strength comes into play as a villain from his homeland sends dark forces toward Earth. Watch the trailer here.

“X-Men: First Class” (June 3) - Charles Xavier (aka Professor X) and Erik Lensherr (Magneto) are two young men discovering their powers. Banding together with fellow mutants to stop a threat to the world, a rift grows between the two forces, leading to the founding of Professor X's X-MEN, Magneto's Brotherhood and the beginning of their eternal war. Watch the trailer here.

“Green Lantern” (June 17) - When he's granted a mystical green ring that bestows him with otherworldly powers, test pilot Hal Jordan becomes the first human to earn membership into an intergalactic squadron tasked with keeping peace within the universe. His mission: to combat an enemy named Parallax, who threatens to destroy the universe's balance of power. Watch the trailer here.

Drama, Drama, Drama

“Something Borrowed” (May 6) - Friendships are trusted and secrets come to the surface when terminally single Rachel falls for Dex, her best friend Darcy's fiancé. Watch the trailer here.

“A Better Life” (June 24) - A crisis befalls Carlos, an illegal immigrant working as a landscaper in Los Angeles who’s focused on providing a better life for his son. Watch the trailer here.

Romantic Comedies

“Jumping the Broom” (May 6) - The wedding of Sabrina and Jason brings together her uptown family and his downtown folks over a revealing weekend in Martha's Vineyard. Watch the trailer here.

In Need of a Good Laugh

“Bridesmaids” (May 13) - Picked as her best friend's maid of honor, lovelorn and broke Annie looks to bluff her way through the expensive and bizarre rituals with an oddball group of bridesmaids. Watch the trailer here.

“The Hangover Part II” (May 26) - Right after the bachelor party in Las Vegas, Phil, Stu, Alan and Doug  jet to Thailand for Stu's wedding. Stu's plan for a subdued pre-wedding brunch, however, goes seriously awry. Watch the trailer here.

"Kung Fu Panda 2" (May 27) - Po and the Furious Five travel to China to battle a villain and uncover the secrets of Po's mysterious origins. Watch the trailer here.

“Mr. Popper's Penguins” (June 17) - After businessman Mr. Popper receives a penguin as a gift, he soon finds himself the caretaker of five more of the seabirds, and he subsequently changes his life and home to accommodate his new charges. Watch the trailer here.

“Cars 2” (June 24) - Lightning McQueen, pit boss Mater and the rest of Lightning's crew enter the Race of Champions, a multi-national event taking place in Japan, Germany, Italy, France and England. Watch the trailer here

“Bad Teacher” (June 24) - Dumped by her sugar daddy, an unsaintly schoolteacher targets one of her colleagues as her next lover — a plan that pits her against a popular co-worker. Watch the trailer here.

Action Junkies

“Priest” (May 13) - A priest disobeys church law to track down the vampires who kidnapped his niece. Watch the trailer here.

“Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” (May 20) - After crossing paths with a woman from his past, Captain Jack Sparrow is swept aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge, the ship of the formidable pirate Blackbeard, on an unexpected mission to find the elusive fountain of youth. Watch the trailer here.

For the Thrill in All of Us

“Super 8” (June 10) - Ohio, 1979: When kids shooting a super 8 movie witness a train crash, their shock soon turns to feelings of suspicion and horror after disappearances and inexplicable events begin to take place in town. Watch the trailer here.

Next week I will finish off the last two months of the summer, which will be starting very soon as next week is already the last week of classes.