Spring is full of new beginnings. Graduating students embark on new careers, flowers begin to bloom and, of course, new fashions take over. Spring is usually the time when we clean out our closets and prepare for the warmer months ahead. In order to get ready for the season, I’ve put together a list of the six essentials every girl needs to add to her closet for spring:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Photo courtesy of Who What Wear

Ditch your uncomfortable skinny jeans for this season’s wide leg denim trouser. Not only are these jeans more comfortable, but they’re more flattering, too. Skinny jeans tend to look best on slim body types, while wide leg jeans suit all shapes. The wide leg jean adds curves to slender bodies and balances out curvy body types.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Photo courtesy of Piperlime

Pair those wide leg jeans with some espadrilles or wedges. The combination of the wide leg jeans and espadrilles/wedges will elongate your legs making you look 10 feet tall.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Photo courtesy of J. Crew

An alternative to denim is the cropped pant. The cropped style comes in a few different fits this spring: the loose chino (above), the straight trouser and the stretchy skinny. You can’t go wrong with whichever of the three you choose. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Photo courtesy of Celebrity Style Guide

Spring is never complete without pulling your cut-off denim shorts out of the back of the closet. This year is no exception. Denim shorts come in a variety of lengths. So choose one that you are comfortable with and flatters your body. Better yet, grab a pair of scissors and some old jeans and make your own!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Photo courtesy of ShoppingLifestyle

Say, “See ya later,” to your mini skirts and dresses. This season is all about the midi. Midi skirts and dresses are those that hit the middle of your calf. Midis look best on taller women, but can still look great on us shorter gals — just add heels!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Photo courtesy of FabSugar

The last item you need to complete your spring wardrobe is something bright. Whether it’s one of the items listed above —espadrilles, midis, etc. — or a bright accessory such as a handbag or a belt, your spring look is perfected with a punch of color.