Oh, the dreaded Freshman 15: The extra pounds gained by eating boxes of instant mac 'n' cheese, slurping up extra-whip caramel Frappuccinos and stacking up on the endless supply of succulent chocolate chip cookies the dining halls have to offer.

While that all seems heavenly in the moment, six months from now you might be wondering how to get back in shape. Sure, you'll go to the gym once, maybe a few times, and then realize you feel slightly intimidated by the girl running six miles on your left and the guy benching 280 pounds behind you.

Have no fear. While the gyms at UF are your friends, there are many other ways to work out and stay healthy. All of them will keep you fit and don't involve a treadmill.

The Gainesville Rock Gym is a great place to stop by if you're looking to challenge your flexibility, endurance and strength. The gym has two rock walls reaching up to 36 feet as well as tunnels for bouldering if the height seems threatening. Students can purchase a day pass for $16, six day passes for $60 or sign up for a semester membership. The courses range from easy greens to challenging reds, fitting the needs of every climber. You can stay for an hour or all day, depending on how well your forearms fare.

If trusting a friend to hold you while climbing 36 feet of vertical wall isn't your thing, you can always take a more relaxing path and hike any one of the nature trails Gainesville has to offer. Paynes Prairie State Preserve has eight trails for hiking, horseback riding and bicycling. The trails go through forests, marshes, creeks and freshwater ponds, providing a scenic view while keeping you active and out of your dorm.

Just south of Paynes Prairie lies the famous Lake Wauburg. With just your Gator 1 card, you can get in for free and take part in activities guaranteed to be more exciting than doing sit-ups in your dorm room.

The lake offers canoeing, kayaking, boating, water-skiing, wakeboarding and sailing. On land, students can gather friends and reserve a spot for the daunting Challenge Course or engage in a calming game of Disc Golf.

However, if the gym seems just too convenient to pass up, you can always try one of the many classes the Southwest Recreation Center has to offer. For one hour, you can test your patience and flexibility with any of the five yoga classes ranging from Ashtanga yoga to yogalates. If you're looking for a faster-paced workout, you can try the popular Zumba class where you can dance to a fusion of Latin and international music.

If you want to skate more than just down Museum Road to the Reitz Union, you can visit the area located behind Broward Dining. Although flying down the street on your long board is a hoot, why not have a go at UF's very own skate park located just south of the dining hall? Jump over some ramps or even take a dive down the half-pipe - both are fun and keep you active.

Located right next to the skate park is a roller hockey court for those of you who would rather stay on a flat surface. Get a team together and spend a few hours whacking a ball around. You'll build endurance and gain serious skill for that one time in college when you'll have to outrun someone you pissed off on rollerblades.

While these ideas are all worthwhile, it is expected that some freshmen might never leave campus. If all fails and you find that you never get around to doing any of these activities, don't fret. The walk from Carleton Auditorium to the New Physics Building every day might be all the exercise you need.