<p>Kappa Delta pledges meet their new sisters in front of their sorority house on Tuesday evening. About 1,500 women joined the 2011 pledge class for the 16 chapters of sororities on the UF campus.</p>

Kappa Delta pledges meet their new sisters in front of their sorority house on Tuesday evening. About 1,500 women joined the 2011 pledge class for the 16 chapters of sororities on the UF campus.

About 1,500 sorority hopefuls gathered in the O'Connell Center on Tuesday to participate in the sorority bid day ceremony.

Sorority house representatives walked across a stage in groups of four, robed in delicate sundresses and hats decorated like castles, birthday cakes and Dora the Explorer.

When all the houses had been introduced, Pi Chi organizers handed sealed envelopes to all of the women, who quickly pressed the envelopes, still sealed, to their foreheads.

On the count of three, the envelopes were opened, and there was a deafening roar of excitement. No amount of shushing from Panhellenic advisers could silence them.

To the tune of LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem," the new pledges danced and hugged each other, erupting into chants of sisterly love.

In years past, the bid day ceremony was held on Norman Field and new pledges ran to their respective sorority houses after receiving their bids.

This year, however, the event took place inside the O'Connell Center and buses took the women directly to Sorority Row.

Carey Mays, a Panhellenic adviser who helped supervise the event, said, "We wanted to make it a little bit safer for the community and the participants."