Greek life at UF could have a lot of stereotypes if you blindly put everyone in neat and easy categories. A closer look might show something different.

In the four Greek councils, 15 percent of UF students - 5,200 individuals - are involved in Greek life's four councils.

The Panhellenic Council has 16 chapters and about 2,644 members at UF.

Women can register for PC's formal rush process through Tuesday at http://www.ufpanhellenic.com/home. Rush will take place from Wednesday until Aug. 23.

"For incoming freshmen, joining a Greek organization is going to immediately make this campus seem smaller," PC President Margaret Dantzler said in an email.

"My grandmother still has my father's and uncle's Greek paddles hanging in her house," she said. "She still goes on a vacation each year with her pledge sisters, so I grew up seeing the long-term benefits of Greek life."

The National Pan-Hellenic Council, made up of nine historically black fraternities and sororities known as the "Divine Nine," came to UF in 1994.

NPHC President Contessa Middleton said being part of organizations such as these expands brother and sisterhood not only among its members but in the community as well.

All nine organizations in the NPHC will notify the campus through fliers and announcements when they are accepting new members.

Isamara Berrios, the president of the Multicultural Greek Council, said each organization in the MGC has a different process for students interested in joining. She said students should contact a new member educator, or pledgemaster, the person in charge of intake or a member of the organizations for more information.

There are 13 organizations in the MGC with about 300 members.

"You don't have to be that race to get into the organizations," she said.

The Interfraternity Council prides itself on reaching out to the whole UF community.

The IFC will hold an informational session Aug. 28. The session will have information on the rush process and how bids work. After the session there will be a barbecue kickoff event with all 26 IFC chapters there to talk to prospective rushees.

"[Rush is the] most useful 10 weeks of your life at UF, setting the foundation for getting involved, meeting people and picking a career," said IFC president Rajiv Asnani.

Rush will be from Aug. 29 to Sep. 2 with informal dress. All interested in the IFC can stop by the 24 houses and talk to brothers.

"Give it a chance. Not just IFC; give all four councils a chance," Asnani said.