Archer, Fla., is but a speck on a map. It has a population of about 1,300, and its claim to fame might only be that it was once home to legendary rhythm and blues artist Bo Diddley.

But 40-year-old UF alumnus Bill Webb is making something that could make that speck - and his own legacy - nationally known.

It's the world's longest guitar neck. It's a modification to the guitar's design thought to be impossible.

It's not the longest because of how far it reaches, but rather because of how low it attaches to the body of the instrument.

It's going to revolutionize music, said Webb, the architect of what he coined the "True Uniform Floating Neck." He said it will change music forever: the way it's made, the way it's played and the way it's composed.

A typical guitar neck joins the body of a guitar at a point called the heel, where typically screws hold the neck in place. About a fifth of the neck rests on top of the heel to give the instrument stability and keep it tuned.

On Webb's guitars, there are no heels. He said without the heel behind the neck, access to the higher notes improves, music sounds crisper and comfort increases for the musician.

He said he was inspired to make this guitar after watching the movie "The Red Violin," which is about the life of a perfectly crafted and highly coveted violin that inspires every prodigal musician across generations.

He finishes the instruments with conventional house paints, which he says gives his finished products imperfections that make each guitar different from the next - like a fingerprint.

David Owen, lead guitarist of the band Monster, which has opened for bands like Styx and Three Dog Night, had the opportunity to play the instrument and said it's as sturdy and tuned as a conventional guitar.

"I think he might be onto something," Owen said of Webb. "I don't see why all the companies wouldn't adopt that design."

Webb gave up the opportunity to earn a doctorate at UF to start working on crafting his guitars in 2007, but he needed a steady source of income. He took a job with his bandmate and friend, Keith Cramer, who owns a tree-service business.

Webb says he plans to develop heel-less acoustic guitars and eventually move on to classical instruments, like the violin. First, he'll tackle the violin - an instrument that hasn't been modified in 300 years.

"This is the sounding board for bigger things," Webb said. "I've reached the final design. Now it's time to show the world."

Webb plans to post YouTube videos demonstrating his guitar neck Aug. 10. They will be searchable under "World's Longest Guitar Neck."