Since the invention of peer-to-peer file sharing, independent artists have had to find new ways to get their music out to the masses.

Ambitions of landing major record label deals and and becoming rich took a backseat to making more passionate music, and that is found at all levels of the industry.

"The implementation of new technology has democratized the art of music production and promotion," said Logan Fischer, drummer and producer for local bands like Heavy Petty and he Shabby Chic. "A new age of authenticity and integrity is upon us. It's an unstable but exciting time to be an independent musician."

The weakness of record labels is what has inspired independent musicians and given them a new focus in creating music.

"The major label format will remain an institution for the foreseeable future as predicted by highly commercialized acts like the Jonas Brothers as well as the label's marketing endeavors, such as print and multimedia advertising and film soundtracks," Fischer said. "But a vigorous do-it-yourself mentality is sweeping the world as more people make records of professional quality on laptops in their bedrooms and conduct sessions over great distances through just email and file-sharing."

The current generation has been categorized as the "convenience generation." It has become increasingly easy and quick to instantly download new music. Young people know what they want and they don't want to be catered to. The "cool" factor lies in the unknown, in the independent artists who are making music just to make music.

After all, despite our age, most of us know the chorus of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," and it still rings true today. The chorus has been taken as a mantra by artists who want to do things differently in a time where everything is the same.

"Here we are now, entertain us."