Once you learn the rules, there's enough brew to go around

<p>“The Captain” selects a winner for a Halloween costume contest at Mothers Pub and Grill on 1017 W. University Ave.</p>

“The Captain” selects a winner for a Halloween costume contest at Mothers Pub and Grill on 1017 W. University Ave.

You've made it. You're finally at one of the nation's finest institutions of higher learning (and heavy partying), and there's no better way to announce your arrival than to slip into your tallest stilettos or finest polo, grab that horridly fake ID you think will somehow work and hit the town. There's only one problem: You probably don't know where to go. Don't fret, young grasshopper, the Alligator is here to help.

Midtown

The strip of bars, restaurants and bookstores on University Avenue between Northwest 16th Street and Northwest 18th Street is known as midtown. The scene here is mostly Greek, but you won't be berated for not looking the part. Most of these bars are 21+, but places like Gator City/XS, The Swamp Restaurant, Grog House and 101 Cantina are usually 18+ but can restrict entry to 21+ at peak hours.

If you're looking to bust a move, you're mostly limited to XS and Grog House. Most bars in Gainesville are social hotspots where people attempt to drink the bar dry during all-you-can-drink happy hour. You can usually find these people curled up in a corner covered in vomit. Expect to pay around $5-7 to get through the doors at most of these places.

Downtown

If you want to shake what your momma gave you, head downtown. In terms of a club scene, downtown is generally restricted to University Avenue between Northwest First Street and Southwest Third Street. Nearly all the clubs in this district are 18+ and can cost anywhere from $5 to more than $20, depending on whether there is a special event taking place.

The clubs here are usually slow during the week, but crank up Thursday through Saturday nights.

If you know how to line-dance, Thursday night at Eight Seconds, 201 W. University Ave., is where you'll want to be. For hip-hop and dubstep cravings, walk into nearly any club, and you'll get it.

For the LGBT crowd, University Club, 18 E. University Ave., is considered the most popular club devoted to the scene.

You'll want to take a Later Gator bus or one of the cart services such as GOTCHA Ride or ZIPcarts to make the trek on a budget.