<p>Junior track and field star Christian Taylor won the 2010-11 alligatorSports Male Athlete of the Year award, leaping past the competition.</p>

Junior track and field star Christian Taylor won the 2010-11 alligatorSports Male Athlete of the Year award, leaping past the competition.

Each UF athlete named on the All-alligatorSports team has pushed the boundaries and flirted with the limitations of what a collegian can do in competition.

But as our 2010-11 Male Athlete of the Year, Florida jumper Christian Taylor has already launched past them according to coach Mike Holloway.

“I’m not sure if people realize how special he is, both as a person and an athlete,” Holloway said. “He is one of the best combo jumpers on this planet.”

The 21-year-old junior is currently ranked as the top American in the triple jump after his wind legal jump of 17.40 meters at the NCAA Championships and will likely represent the U.S. at the 2012 Olympics in London.  

Taylor’s wind-aided leap of 17.80 meters at the June 11 meet  vaulted him into the company of some of the best in the world.

After plunging into the sandpit over 58 feet from where he started his jump, Taylor shattered what was left of the previous collegiate record and now holds the all-time, all-conditions record in the event. The leap was the second longest distance jumped in the world this year behind only France’s Teddy Tamgho.

“C.T. is one of those very unique athletes that comes along and has the ability to elevate the level of intensity and raise the expectations of everyone around him,” Holloway said.

Over the last year, Taylor’s staggering medal count includes a third individual national title in the triple jump and a third-straight SEC Indoor title.

But the UF star hasn’t simply dominated collegiate competition.

In a non-NCAA meet on June 23, Taylor won another triple jump title at the USA Championships and a bid to compete with the U.S. team at the IAAF World Championships of Athletics in Daegu, South Korea from Aug. 27 to Sept. 4.

At the same meet, Taylor also had his top performance in the long jump with a fourth place finish.

The only time Taylor failed to step highest on the podium in the triple jump this season was when teammate and friendly rival Will Claye bested him at the NCAA Indoor and SEC Outdoor Championships, as Taylor finished a close second in both meets.

For all Taylor’s excellence in the triple and long jump, Holloway also points out the athlete plays double duty for the Gators as a sprinter.

“He is a 14-time All-American [in three different events] and is in the top 10 of our all-time list in several events, including the long jump, triple jump, 400-meter dash and our relays,” Holloway said.

Whether he’s on the blocks or on the runway, Taylor’s versatility has played a big part in getting him nominated for this year’s edition of The Bowerman Award — awarded to the best collegiate track and field athlete.

As one of the last three finalists, Taylor won’t find out if he wins the award until Dec. 14 in San Antonio, Texas. But fans can vote for him on TheBowerman.org until Aug. 16.

“I am very proud of C.T. for everything he has accomplished here at Florida, and I look forward to seeing what the future holds for him,” Holloway said.