About 2,500 students will move out of their summertime homes in UF's residence halls this week.

Students will move out of the residence halls before the Department of Housing and Residence Education closes them at 4 p.m. on Aug. 6.

Summer B students received emails concerning their specific checkout instructions on July 21.

If students do not follow the instructions, they can rack up fines ranging from $40 to $115 or more.

Live-in residence life staff, building services staff, maintenance staff, security staff, clerical staff and administrative staff are all involved in one way or another with checkout, said Sharon Blansett, assistant to the associate vice president for student affairs.

Those living in the residence halls had to choose between traditional checkout and express checkout.

In the traditional checkout, students inspect their rooms with their resident assistant to see if anything is wrong with the room and then have a chance to fix the issue.

With an express checkout, a student completely cleans their room and turns in the key to the residence hall's front office and could be charged if anything is broken or not cleaned properly in the room.

Students were offered information about staying in the residence halls between the end of Summer B and the beginning of the fall semester on Aug. 22.

Students are expected to move out the day after classes end.